Points & Facts
FULL NAME: Thomas Luke Macfarlane (Jr.)
DOB: January 19th, 1980
AGE: Twenty-eight (28)
BIRTH PLACE: London, Ontario, Canada
EDUCATION: Lester B. Pearson School for the Performing Arts. London Central Secondary School. He also graduated from the acclaimed New York City acting school, Juilliard, in 2003.
• Dr. Thomas Macfarlane (father, Director of Student Health Services at the University of Western Ontario) [Deceased: 12/14/07 (61 y.o.)]
• Penny Macfarlane (mother, mental health nurse at a London hospital)
• Rebecca Macfarlane (older sister)
• Ruth Macfarlane (twin sister)
• Luke auditioned for and was accepted into two prestigious acting schools: Canada’s National Theatre School in Montreal, and Juilliard in New York City. Luke chose the role of “Edmund” from Shakespeare’s King Lear to audition for Juilliard. Luke chose Juilliard to attend.
• Luke was the lead singer of a London, Ontario-based band called Slipnaught which was later re-named Fellow Nameless. The band was nearly signed to Maverick Records and came close to success, but Luke later left to pursue acting and attended Juilliard.
• A Fellow Nameless song, “Howl,” is featured in the last episode of Over There, while the character Bo is running around the track field.
• London, Ontario, Canada, is also the hometown to Ryan Gosling (The Notebook), Rachel McAdams (The Notebook), and Paul Haggis (Writer and director; Casino Royale, Crash).
• Ugly Betty supporting actor, Michael Urie, was in Group 32 alongside Luke at Juilliard. They still remain good friends.
• Luke has two sisters, including one fraternal twin sister, Ruth.
• Luke currently resides in Los Angeles, California.
• While filming Iron Road in China, Luke used his days off to explore the cities and countryside around the Hengdian World Studios and learned to speak a little Mandarin.
• Luke openly came out of the closet in an interview with Globe & Mail, a nationally well-known newspaper in Canada, on April 15, 2008.